Friday, May 14, 2004

Knitting time is pretty thin on the ground these days. I've joined DH's triathlon training group, but only for running. Although I half expect a road bike and Speedo swimsuit to be under the Christmas tree this year (ay-yi-yi!). Even though this running stuff's going to be a good thing for the booty, it's cutting into my already limited knitting time. Sigh. Anyway, I got the body of Neckdown Summer Cardi cast off, and started the left sleeve:



And some more love came in the mail from Elann the other day:



Yummy, fuzzy Plymouth Outback Mohair. Three skeins of the Bayou shade (greens and blues), and 5 skeins of Lavender Sunset (purples and pinks). I'm going to use the Bayou to make the Simply Stunning Lace Shawl from St. Seraphina Knits (pattern available from Elann, too).

My Life as a Part-Time Hooker Continues
Wanna see something pretty? Link via Loqueen's March 24th entry (specifically, a comment from this commenter. Yes, of course I purchased the pattern. My mama didn't raise no fool. I let no good crochet pattern go unhooked.

All Reasonable Requests Honored, or, You Want Me to Do What?
I stop nearly every morning at the little convenience store associated with my local gas station. I buy a 20oz. Diet Pepsi (sorry folks, I'm not a Coffee Achiever). I have a nodding acquaintance with all the morning shift clerks. We usually grunt amiably at each other, it being early and all. The other morning, I indulged in a Cadbury Caramel Egg. They were in a "Reduced Price" basket on the counter. Chocolate on sale? You don't have to twist my arm.

The clerk was an older woman I don't often see. She was doing the Time Warp Again with her hair -- grey barrel curls teased within an inch of their lives, hair reaching straight up to Jesus in a sculpted beehive. Very Marge Simpson-esque. But she's a nice lady, and I don't judge. So I plunk my DP and egg on the counter, and she scans them. But like the dog that don't hunt, the egg don't scan. AquaNet Lady asks, "Can you get another one of these without wrinkles (in the wrapper)?" I'm a bit non-plussed. Anyone who's bought a Cadbury egg knows that they wrapped in foil and maybe, just maybe, the barcode might be a bit, well, wrinkled? But I'm half-asleep, and comply dumbly. I grab another egg and hand it to her. No scanee. And another. Same story. And a fourth egg. Success! I believe that lady would have had me grab every egg in that basket, and if we couldn't find a scannable egg, she would have made me leave without my chocolate. It was a narrow escape.

Happy Friday, everyone.

No comments: