Thursday, June 24, 2004


Couldn't resist creating my portrait at this site. Actually, it's not a bad likeness. I tweaked the eyebrows to sit up a bit higher, and my eyes are a bit farther apart and aren't as psycho a shade of green as that, but all in all, not bad.

Crochet Renaissance
It's really cool to see crochet garments making a comeback. With the except of the awful Better Homes & Gardens Simple Crochet mag that came out earlier this year that was chock-full of granny squares, there are some nice patterns starting to appear. Interweave Knits has a special crochet issue that will be published this fall. The latest Herrschners catalog had a nice selection of crochet garment patterns and yarn, too. Here's what I scored from them recently:

Leisure Arts, "Fashion Collection"



My criteria for crocheted garments is that the fabric has to be light and airy. I don't care for thick, stiff crocheted fabric, therefore, I don't crochet in anything heavier than a sportweight yarn (Summer Breeze Cardi is being done in #10 crochet thread). One sportweight yarn I like that seems to be making a comeback is J&P Coats Lustersheen, a cabled acrylic with a subtle sheen. It comes in a range of colors, and even comes on cones.

I ordered 3 Twilley's crochet books from Awesome Ewe today. The projects in all three books are done in either crochet thread or sportweight yarn, and look to be pretty fashion-forward. I'll post some pix after the books arrive.

Lest you think I've become a complete hooker and have neglected my knitterly side, here's another project I ordered from Herrschners:

Leisure Arts, "Sweaters for All Seasons", Peacock Yarns "Cotton Ragg"


Perfect for cool San Diego evenings! The sweater calls for 3 cones of the Cotton Ragg, and at $7.00 per cone, it's a steal! Elann's Den-M-Nit or Naturelle 8/8 would work, too.

Whew! Enough for today. I leave you with the immortal wisdom of Lenny Kravitz: "Keep the skin tight and the booty in the air." Word.

No comments: