Monday, January 26, 2004

Didn't get time to snap any pitchas ... so you get my rambling thoughts instead. You've been warned; move on to the next site in the KnitBlog Ring if you're so inclined. Decided to stay? Alrighty, then.

There's a Song in My Heart
What is it about certain songs that they become embedded in your brain, playing over (and over and over)? My current torture is split between two songs: OutKast's "Hey Ya" and Britney Spears "Toxic." There's no rhyme (ha ha) or reason for either of these songs to be on auto-replay in my head all day. Well, maybe a case can be made for "Hey Ya." It has the secret Walt Disney song ingredient. You know -- the same one that provides me with instant recall on all songs from the Mary Poppins soundtrack. And just to set the record straight: Movie merchandising did not begin with The Little Mermaid. I'll have you know I had an entire bedroom suite of Mary Poppins paraphernalia: Bedspread, sheets 'n pillowcase, and bedside lamp. Plus a full meal set: Plate, silverware, drinking cup. And M.P. doll. And this was in (cough) 1965.

But I digress. All morning at work, while trying to dig myself out of the creative (funk) (hole) (abyss) that I currently reside in (not a good thing if you're a graphic designer and worthy of a post all by itself), snippets of "Hey Ya" were trolling my brainwaves like a musical freighter on the high seas:

You think you've got it
Ohh, you think you've got it
But got it just don't get it
Till' there's nothing at
AaaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaallllll.. (love that part)

But wait! There's more:

Shake it, shake, shake it, shake it (OHH OH)
Shake it, shake it, shake, shake it, shake it, shake it (OHH OH)
Shake it, shake it like a Poloroid Picture, shake it, shake it

But I simply cannot explain the Britney Spears song. With insipid lyrics like these:

With a taste of your lips
I’m on a ride
You’re toxic
I’m slipping under
With a taste of poison paradise
I’m addicted to you
Don’t you know that you’re toxic
And I love what you do
Don’t you know that you’re toxic

I have no excuse. Maybe I need a high colonic. Somebody. Help. Me.

Sigh. Tomorrow will be a better day.

No comments: