Monday, September 08, 2003


I completely forgot to post on Friday. So …

Into the Penalty Box I Go
For anyone wondering why I keep referring to being sent to the penalty box, rent Slapshot and it will all become clear. Being married to a former amateur hockey player, it's one of the more oft-quoted movies in my house -- along with The Godfather, Scarface, and a few other testosterone-laden movies. Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

And Now We Return to Our Regularly Scheduled Programming
Well, shake it up, baby, now, (shake it up, baby)
Twist and shout. (twist and shout)
The Beatles

Woo hoo! A weekend of assiduous Housework Avoidance, several excellent movies on satellite tee-vee, and Aran Go Round is lookin' good! Roll that beautiful bean footage:

The Big Picture


Cable Detail


The cable pattern is quite easy, with a big visual and textural pay-off. I'm enjoying it even more now that I'm past the first major decrease round and there's a lot fewer stitches crammed on my 36" circular. The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the hole at the beginning of the cabling ... I thought I followed Janet's directions so as not to have this happen, but it looks a bit "airy."

One of the cinematic gems that accompanied my weekend knitting frenzy was the 1968 classic Yours, Mine & Ours, starring Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball. I adore these unrealistic Technicolor portrayals of idyllic family life, precisely because my own childhood was anything but. Right up there with YM&O is its Siamese twin, With Six You Get Eggroll (starring Doris Day & Brian Keith). But I never did buy off on The Brady Bunch, the television incarnation of these 2 movies. It was just a little too sanitized. At least Lucille Ball gave one of her little imps a light swat on the bottom when he misbehaved -- that would never have happened on TBB (horrors!). Also watched The Mothman Prophecies with RockStar. Surprisingly, it was better than either of us expected.

My Own Private Idaho (Potato)
OK, faithful readers, I'm asking for your help. I have not been able to stick to any sort of diet plan, lo-carb, no-carb, Weight Watchers, etc. for longer than 2 weeks. I want to lose the 50 lbs. I've gained over the past 2 years. It's (literally) weighing me down, energy- and confidence-wise.

On a positive note, I have started exercising regularly on the Clothes Hangar 950, my elliptical trainer. I'm logging a minimum of 20 minutes each weekday morning, and try to do 30 minutes on at least 2 of those days. So that's good.

On the diet front, however, I've had success on various plans, but only for the first 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, boredom sets in and that little voice in the back of my head starts whispering, "eat the chocolate, eat the chocolate." I start to focus on what I can't have. If anyone has any tips to combat this problem, please comment or email me. I'm getting quite tired of this.

Happy Monday, everyone.

No comments: