Friday, September 12, 2003

Requiem for the Man in Black: RIP, Johnny Cash
God sent his singers upon earth
With songs of sadness and of mirth.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)

Wuv, Twue Wuv
Well, it's happened. RockStar has had his first breakup. This being the digital age, however, it happened with a girl he has been corresponding with online for 4 years and has never actually met in person. Apparently, they've been "together" as a couple for the past 2 years. She is 2 years older than he is. She's a senior this year; he's a sophomore. She outgrew him and set him free last Monday with an AOL "Dear John" instant message.

The weird thing is that even though this relationship was entirely virtual, the emotions and feelings experienced by RockStar were very real and exactly the same as if this had been a face-to-face relationship. He expressed the hurt and anger of anyone who'd been dumped by their significant other. Lots of talking and assurances that he would, indeed, love again seem to have soothed him a bit. DH and I gently suggested that RockStar be brave and start talking to real, live girls that live in the same state, at least. We live in very interesting times, my friends, very interesting, indeed.

Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Knitting
Aran Go Round is progressing nicely. I've just passed the 2nd major decrease round, again lightening the load on my 36" circulars. Still plugging away, still enjoying the pattern, still not independently wealthy. Drat.

Da Big Pitcha


Da Little Pitcha



Gimme Five
I haven't done a Friday Five in awhile, and today's topic looked interesting:

1. Is the name you have now the same name that's on your birth certificate? If not, what's changed?

The name I go by is a derivative of my formal name. The name on my birth certificate is Amelia Ann; my nickname is Amy.

2. If you could change your name (first, middle and/or last), what would it be?

Up until about 5th grade I wanted to change my first name -- the children's book Amelia Bedelia was popular and I was called that name a LOT by unimaginative classmates. After 5th grade, I shrugged it off as their problem, not mine.

3. Why were you named what you were? (Is there a story behind it? Who specifically was responsible for naming you?)

Yes, there's a story. My siblings and I were supposed to be named after the characters in Little Women -- Amy, Jo, Meg & Beth. I was born first and Mom chose Amy, short for Amelia. My sister was 2nd, and her name was supposed to be Margaret Jane, or Meg for short. But Mom was woozy from all the Demerol they pumped her with during the delivery, and answered "Jane Margaret" when the nurses asked her the name. So that blew the naming program. If it had worked, my little brother would have been Joe, short for Joseph. And she never intended to have 4 kids, so what was she thinking, anyway?

4. Are there any names you really hate or love? What are they and why?

First off, I don't like to use the word hate to describe my level of dislike for anything. But there are some names I truly dislike. Trendy girl names of any era drive me up the wall -- can you imagine 70 years from now some nurse will go into an old lady's room and say, "OK, Britney, it's time for your Maalox!" Too horrible to contemplate.

5. Is the analysis of your name at kabalarians.com / triggur.org / astroexpert accurate? How or how isn't it?

The analysis of Amy at kabalarians was fairly accurate. The kabalarians' analysis of Amelia was a bit off-the-wall. It made me sound like a kind, caring person who'd morph into a lunatic if she got stressed (oh damn, busted!). The triggur site was rather juvenile. I didn't understand the results of the astroexpert site.

Happy Friday, everyone. Go forth and sing a song, fall in love, and be good to each other.

No comments: