Monday, September 29, 2003

I made quite a bit of progress on the VH1 Shawl this weekend, but like my blog sistah Marcia, I'm not going to bore you with endless pictures of it.

A co-worker is trying to obtain every copy of Workbasket magazine between 195x and 197x. She really, really likes that magazine. Anyway, she had a number of duplicate issues gleaned from her EBay trawling, and offered them to me. I didn't find any patterns I liked, but advertising junkie that I am, I did enjoy the old ads. What I found particularly interesting was that the type of ads offered then are basically the same as those being offered today: crafting, dieting, health, etc. But the tone is completely different. The Political Correctness Police would have their work cut out for them with these gems:

Carrying a Few Extra Pounds?



Need Clothes to Encompass that Extra Girth?


Or Are You Busticularly Challenged?


Anyway, you get the idea. The copywriters of bygone years had no problem calling it like it was. So after reading about how stout and fat you are, why not relax with a rewarding craft project?

We Three Kings


Here's why I didn't see any knitting projects worth pursuing in these old issues of Workbasket. Why, oh why would you ever subject your child to wearing an outfit such as this?



An outfit like this'll guarantee that the kid'll need therapy in 10 years. Or maybe you do want your kid looking like a TV test pattern, I dunno. I could be wrong.


No comments: