Thursday, June 12, 2003

Blast From The Past
I recently purchased a copy of Vogue Knitting: Very Easy Knits. Imagine my surprise when I ran across this:



This sweater was first published in the Fall/Winter '87 issue of Vogue Knitting. I immediately fell in love with it and made it in black angora to wear to a holiday Christmas party that year. Unfortunately, I didn't know how easy it is to felt angora, and I ruined the sweater the 2nd time I washed it. Which is the reason for this in my stash:



This shoebox of red angora has been following me around since late 1987. It was supposed to be a twin to the doomed black angora sweater, but I never got around to knitting it up. I think I was afraid it would get ruined like the black sweater. The little white piece of paper on top of the yarn is a receipt from The Knotting Chamber, a long-since-closed yarn store that was on the 2nd floor of an old purple-and-white Victorian house on SE 36th & Hawthorne in Portland, Oregon. I used to love going there on my lunch hour and wandering through all the rooms stuffed floor-to-ceiling with yarn. The receipt shows a purchase of (18) 10-gram skeins at $6.50 each for the red angora. A Bernat Aero 24" cable needle ($4.00) and a little box of stitch markers were also in the box. There is also a partial skein of the black angora. For sentimental reasons I can't bear to part with this yarn. In 1987 I was a poorly paid secretary (ahem -- that's Executive Assistant nowadays :-) I really had to scrimp to buy the yarn for those 2 sweaters! I have no idea what to do with this yarn. I guess it's my own fuzzy albatross.

No comments: