Monday, June 23, 2003

Block Party
Got the SFH (Sweater from Hell) blocked on Sunday:





The pieces should be completely dry by tonight. I must confess I always get a bit anxious when it's time to assemble a sweater. I think it dates back to the mid '80s when I wanted to be a contract knitter for The Knotting Chamber (see entry from 6/12/3), and brought several of my sweaters for them to inspect. The manager admired my tension and technique, but said my assembly was not up to their standards. Although I was thoroughly crushed, it spurred me to learn how to finish my sweaters properly. But the fear of my sweaters not being good enough still lingers, all these years later. Amazing.

Introducing Fern, Queen of the Garage!



This is Fern. She (literally) wandered into our lives about 8 years ago. We were living in a dumpy little beach house on Fern Glen Street in La Jolla, California. My husband was still smoking at the time, and would smoke outside on the driveway. One evening, he felt something brush up against his leg. He looked down, and there was a lovely black kitty cat. "Hello," my husband said. "Meow," said (yet unnamed) Fern. Next night, same scenario. On the third night, we put out a small bowl of milk when she showed up. On the fourth night, my husband went to the store and bought a single can of Fancy Feast. No one on Fern Glen Street claimed her. She was in good health, appeared to be about 1-2 years old, and had been spayed. She had no collar. So she came to live with us. Eight years, a new house, and many cans of Fancy Feast later, Fern (named after the street we lived on) is still our beautiful furry girl. She likes to be outside during the daylight hours, and finds many hiding places in the garage to curl up at night. This packing box is her (current) favorite.

No comments: