Monday, July 07, 2003

I Don't Like Mondays
"I want to shoot the whole day down." --Boomtown Rats, 1979

Tucson Redux
Had a great time in Tucson. Spent 3 days/3 nights at the Westin La Paloma resort, in the foothills of north Tucson. My mother called before we left and asked, "You're not going to be anywhere near those fires, are you?" My husband assured her we wouldn't be near them at all. Ha! Here's what we saw off our balcony. The fire was still at least 10 miles away, but there was so much smoke in the sky that the sun was blocked out.

If you are visiting Tucson, you gotta go to Purl's. Ably and affably run by Sharon Wittenberg, Purl's has not one but TWO locations in Tucson. As the Knitter's Review article states, there is an excellent balance of affordable acrylic blend yarns and the obligatory novelty yarns. Sharon asked where I bought yarn in San Diego and I told her that I usually go to Knitting in La Jolla or The Needlecraft Cottage in Pacific Beach. "Good!" she said, "Support your local yarn store!" I complained that Knitting in La Jolla is overly stocked with luxury fibers and novelty yarns (read: out of my price range), and she said that Suzanne's (owner of KiLJ) clientele consisted of rich retired women who "didn't want to think when they knit." Sharon's clientele, however, leans toward cables and fair isle designs. If only I could wave a magic wand and switch the two stores! DH was a complete sweetheart. He parked himself in a chair in front of a fan and let me shop to my heart's content. I came away with 8 skeins of Mission Falls 1824 cotton to make this for my Mom for Christmas. I chose Phlox, a medium greyish-purple shade. I started swatching last night -- I'll post a picture tomorrow. Happy Monday, everyone :-)

No comments: